Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Working against my wiring

Today is September 18th, Tuesday- 4 days away from my hubby's departure to Liberia. I'm working against my wiring today- working against my type A personality. It seems to me, because of the way I'm wired, I'm spinning myself in circles. I'm over-thinking things that haven't even happened yet, I've torn just about every room apart in my frantic attempt to clean, every bedroom closet has been re-organized (except my own), all 7 sets of embroidered towels have been rewashed and hung to dry, floors have been scrubbed, garages cleaned & re-organized, etc. I'm running on vapors but my mind is still going strong. I'm wondering if staying busy will help me or just make me more tired. I'm excited, anxious, scared and just plain-old worried.

I know that I'm not helping myself, I know I need to calm down and rest- but how does one 'work against their wiring?' It's like going against the grain- twice as hard as going with the grain. Am I shooting myself in the foot? Burning the candle at both ends? Probably. Can I change my behavior? Probably. Am I struggling? YES!!

But, this journey wouldn't be a journey without struggling. This has been a long road and it seems we're in the last few miles of the marathon. Here's an excerpt of an email I sent to a friend this morning:
"I'm trying so hard to be strong but my energy is very low to continue to fight all of this pressure. I will hang on though, it's really a mother's promise to her children...to be united with my husband to do what needs to be done to get them all home & safe. I will take all the 'abuse' if it means their suffering is lessened."

God tells us not to worry. He says, "Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life? Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." *Read Matthew 6: 25-34

I will be trying my best to apply that during the next few days & weeks! I'm going to try and 'marry' type A personality to type B personality. I'm going to give it my best shot- to compromise with myself!

No comments: