Thursday, April 19, 2007

Despite all- we give thanks!

As many of you may know, our first born daughter has been a type 1 diabetic for almost 5 years-she was diagnosed at age 2. On Monday morning, our son, was also diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. Hubby and I saw some of the signs two days prior and realized what was happening. We checked his blood sugar late Sunday night and our suspicions were confirmed. I brought him to Children's Hospital Monday morning and we were blessed to be back home by Tuesday afternoon.

The one thing that has changed for Hubby and I-since Dear Daughter #1's diagnosis-is that we have extreme peace, even in spite of our son's diagnosis. We continue to give thanks that the Lord has blessed us with 3 beautiful & healthy biological children, as well as 4 beautiful and precious adopted children. We are also blessed that Dear Son #3 has a big sister to 'show him the ropes' and stand along side of him during the uncertain times (like finger pokes & insulin shots). He is doing amazingly well for being in 'day 3' and talks with sister about 'being special' & having a special job to do- given by God.

Yesterday, the two children played for about 2 hours, role-playing & playing doctor. I'd given them lots of diabetic supplies, band-aids, & extra insulin pump 'stuff.' They 'tended' to their stuffed animals with such love and compassion- sister really provided some comfort to her brother, without him even knowing it.

As I scanned the 'new & improved' diabetic supplies & aides that have come to the market since DD#3's diagnosis- God brought to me an amazing 'injection aide' that I've never heard of. This aide looks almost identical to sister's insulin pump infusion sets and will allow brother to have injections through that port, instead of giving shots through the skin. This aide will be changed in the same time frame as sister's pump sets & will prepare our son for the day when he gets his very own pump. All the while, sparing him the many insulin shots throughout the day. How awesome is God?!? I never would have found this if it wasn't for God directing my eyes and curiosity as I quickly scanned websites yesterday.

So, today I will call the Endocrinologist & request this wonderful 'set' for our son. We continue to give thanks.

So many scriptures & thoughts have come to mind in the last few days. I'd be here forever if I shared every single one. God is so good as He has come along side of Hubby and I to comfort us & bring us amazing peace. He has given our son an easy spirit as well as patience for us as we teach him from 'square one' as we did our daughter. We continue to give thanks.

A few scriptures for today:

"Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid." John 14: 27

"...We also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us."
Romans 5: 3-5

"Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:4-7

3 comments:

Mom of these kids said...

WOW! I am sorry to hear that he has diabetes as well, but it is great to see the way you are handling it. He is blessed to have parents that will take such great care of him. God knew you would do a great job handling all this. How sweet of Jayden to be helping the way she is. They now have a new way to deepen their bond together. It looks like good things have come of this despite what I am sure was heartbreaking for you guys to discover. I will be praying for him, and you too!

Anonymous said...

I am constantly amazed by your extrodinary strength! Despite the grey clouds you never cease to see the beautiful silver lining and magnify it; what an inspiration! Keep your head held high and continue to knock down barriers! Everyday is a step closer.

Tonya

Anonymous said...

Yeah, what Maury said, Tonya and I were just discussing this the other day, and I told her that I have the firm belief that if any kids in the world have to have Diabetes, it's a great blessing that they are your kids. This condition requires a lot of special care and proper eating, testing, etc. and God knows that you and Travis will take the best care of these children. They are far healthier than they ever would be if almost any other parents had them.

I guess I've never thought about it until now, but you are part of the reason that I have been blessed with such healthy children. Back when Cale was a baby, when it was about time for him to start solid foods, you introduced me to "Super Baby Food" and I never turned back. My kids' eating habits are unlike any other kids (waaaaaay better) and they are the two most healthy kids I've ever seen. Or that anyone has seen, for that matter. So, thank you, and Cale and Carissa thank you and your kids are so lucky to have you for a Mom!

I love all of you guys, stay strong!

Tracy