Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Apologia, I Don't Have Enough Faith To Be An Athiest--TOS Review

Photobucket
Apologia is a familiar name to most homeschooling families. I personally enjoy their curriculum because their science and worldview curriculum are written from a Christian perspective. I was able to review their newest product, I Don't Have Enough Faith To Be An Atheist. This book can be used as a curriculum for high school but I reviewed it personally as an "adult student." You can read a sample of the book here to determine the voice in which it's written.


Here's a little background on the authors (taken from the website):
"Norman Geisler and Frank Turek (the authors) argue that Christianity is not only more reasonable than all other belief systems, but is indeed more rational than unbelief itself. With conviction and clear thinking, Geisler and Turek guide readers through some of the traditional, tested arguments for the existence of a creator God. They move into an examination of the source of morality and the reliability of the New Testament accounts concerning Jesus. The final section of the book deals with a detailed investigation of the claims of Christ. This volume will be an interesting read for those skeptical about Christianity, as well as a helpful resource for Christians seeking to articulate a more sophisticated defense of their faith." 

I found this to be a fascinating read. I was a bit skeptical and unsure at first on what to expect, mostly because of the title. But, I learned long ago not to judge a book by its cover. The topics in this book discussed questions or uncertainties I've had for many years. Even though I grew up going to church, the older I got the more questions I seemed to have about my own personal faith and why I believed the things I said I believed. 

If your curious about this book and if it's right for you and your family, check out the Table of Contents.  I really did enjoy the book in it's entirety but the chapters "Why Should Anyone Believe Anything At All" and "The Top 10 Reasons We Know The New Testament Writers Told The Truth" were my favorites. I feel these topics (among others discussed) have helped me to to become more confident in how I approach and talk to non-Christians.


Along with the book to review, I also received a workbook companion. This is where things became a curriculum and not just a good book to add to one's collection. The workbook is extremely comprehensive in nature and made each chapter "sink in" at a deeper level. 


The sections involved in working through each chapter include examples such as: key topics, key terms used, questions that grab your mind, famous people in Christian history, and much more.  When using this as a course, you or your student will "tackle the question of absolute truth, demolish the follies of postmodernism, debunk moral relativism, and march logically and surely toward the inescapable truths of the Christian faith."

The book costs $16.00, and the workbook costs $33.00. This set seems to be a popular item (I can see why!) so be sure to check back if you find it unavailable. 

To see what my fellow Crew Mates had to say about Apologia, I Don't Have Enough Faith To Be An Athiest visit the Homeschool Crew Blog to read more.

**Disclosure: My review and opinion written in this post is entirely my own. This product was provided to me for free in exchange for my review as a member of the 2012 The Old Schoolhouse Magazine Homeschool Crew.

No comments: