Saturday, June 16, 2007

A Mother's Legacy

As I was reading in Psalms this morning, I came across this devotional- can any of you relate?

"Often people have asked me what has been my greatest fear as a mother. My answer is too private to share with anyone except God. Yet with all the vigor of my heart, I want to proclaim to the world that God does carry a mother through such a firestorm of agony. He proves himself to be what he promised- a shield, a refuge, a comforter, a restorer of the soul. He defangs the monster of fear.
Moses stands as a monument to his mother's courage against staggering opposition. Jochebed's dilemma seemed impossible, but with God's help, she solved it. Her example encourages me as I keep coming back to the Lord, morning after morning. And he is there, available to me and to any mother who seeks him. He performs what he promises, and that assurance overcomes my fears. Perhaps his words to Joshua best summarize what I've learned over the years: 'Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go' (Joshua 1:9).
*To read about the birth of Moses, look at Exodus 2: 1-10

"He replied, 'You of little faith, why are you so afraid?' Then he got up and rebuked the winds and the waves, and it was completely calm. The men were amazed and asked, 'What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!'" Matthew 8: 26-7

"For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline." 2 Timothy 1: 7

No comments: